Friday 14 September 2012

Back the Bill





You might have heard bits and pieces about 'back the bill' or seen plenty of #backthebill hashtags over the last week. If you're none the wiser it's a parliamentary bill on mental health discrimination proposed by Gavin Barwell, MP for Croydon.

The purpose of the bill is to remove legal barriers that contribute to stigmatised views of mental health problems and in a wider context, send a message that discrimination won't be tolerated. It's supported by the Royal College of Psychiatrists and mental health charities Rethink Mental Illness and Mind. The bill, if passed into law, will
  • Amend the Juries Act (1974), removing powers which potentially block 'mentally disordered persons' from sitting on a jury
  • Remove powers from The Companies (model articles) Regulations 2008 which state a person may be removed from a position as director of a private or public company 'by reason of their mental health'
  • Repeal section 141 of the Mental Health Act (1983) under which an MP will automatically lose their seat if sectioned under the Mental Health Act for more than six months
This bill was read and debated in the House of Commons today, and following overwhelming support, was successfully passed and will now go on to the committee stage, before returning to the Commons for a final vote early in the New Year. 

Of course, this bill doesn't tackle all areas or methods of mental health discrimination, but the fact it has had such support from both parliament and the general public alike means steps are being made in the right direction. But its sad, isn't it, when you consider that most people wouldn't know that these barriers even exist for those of us suffering with mental ill health. We're faced with laws so antiquated they are hard to even fathom. Whilst this should have happened eons ago, the fact that they are being so justly challenged, and hopefully bulldozed, is a reason to be optimistic today.

The conversation about mental illness is gathering pace. That makes some people very uncomfortable still, but we all need to contribute to the momentum of this conversation, educate the haters and turn them into people who understand. One in four of us will suffer some kind of mental ill health in our lifetime, so you can't run and you can't hide, you can't pretend it doesn't happen. People with mental illnesses have just that, an illness. There cannot be one rule for the physically ill, or indeed the physically disabled, and another for those of us on the mental illness and disability spectrum. Whilst that exists, discrimination exists.

I wonder if anyone of you with mental illnesses haven't been discriminated against in one form or another? Sadly, it is still rife, we are still seen as different, odd, mental. We are the last taboo.

Actions, like this bill, give me at least some hope when I'm at home feeling otherwise completely hopeless. I hope that all this means that one day, the discrimination I've faced won't happen to anyone else. One time, years ago, I was arrested: I had been assaulted in an unprovoked attack by a girl in a corridor by the toilets at a pub. I phoned the Police myself. No one else was there to witness it so it was a case of she said/she said, and I also, after being asked a set of questions, disclosed my mental illness: we were both carted off to the station. When I was there, I asked for a doctor to see me, both because of my cuts and bruises, but also because I was taking daily medication at the time and needed some the next morning. I also asked that my social worker therapist, who I was due to see the following morning, be contacted and told where I was. After eventually being released after 18 hours for doing absolutely nothing other than be attacked, and having to keep begging for my meds, I left the station, got straight on my phone and found out the Police had never bothered to call my therapist. 

But perhaps the worst discrimination was at the hands of my last employer, a major international marketing and PR agency. During my time there (6 months) I worked ridiculously long hours, was under major pressure, and that coupled with some pretty horrible stuff going on in my personal life, triggered a cycle of depression. Initially I was given a week off to deal with things, which I was grateful for, but upon returning it was clear I was struggling and they were unhappy with me. After another few weeks I had a total nervous breakdown (are they even called that anymore?!) and was signed off by my GP. I contacted my boss with this information. At the time I was on a 6 month contract which prior to being signed off was in the process of being extended, and a new role had been developed for me. I was informed by HR, not my cowardly boss, that I was surplus to requirements and they were ending my contract there. They used other excuses, but basically, I was fired because I was mentally ill. Thanks for that.

I try not to dwell on that shit, life really is a bit too short to stay angry too long, but I just don't want other people to go through the same. So I'm backing the bill, and hope you will too.

And FYI, I've already done jury service. They can't catch me. Suckers.
Check out Mind's video on the bill here:





2 comments:

  1. Before I realised that I actually had depression, I'd been called a slacker for not being able to work, and lazy too. I also had loads of work piled on me right after having time off, as if I was suddenly fine. I can't think of other instances just now.

    Not as serious as yours clearly, but still, even in the small things, discrimination and misunderstanding is everywhere.

    Maybe one day we can make them understand what mental ill health really is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. they seem like little things but that's often how employers put on the pressure and then use the 'they're not performing well' as a reason to get rid of employees. It's difficult to prove, too...

    Thanks!

    Keep'em coming :)

    ReplyDelete