Friday 26 October 2012

Why I write this blog





It's not because I'd love to be recognised as some kind of authority on mental health, or because I love gabbing on about myself all the time, or because I think I'm particularly interesting. Quite the opposite, in fact: I'm nothing special in the grand scheme of things, I'm simply living my life with mental illness, getting by as millions of others do around the world. I want to 'normalise' this experience. I think that the only way to greater social acceptance is making it clear that our experiences as mentalists are nothing new or extraordinary - that everyone from your local MP to your children's teacher, to your own spouse could suffer with mental health issues. And that this is OK, that they aren't stigmatised for something they cannot help.

I also want to respond to something I read on twitter about people with mental illness letting themselves be defined by it. That somehow we don't want to get better and we relish languishing in the depths of our despair. That might be true of a minority, as with any other type of illness. But being bipolar does not define who I am. I am the sum of many parts, not just that part. I am interested in many things and don't believe in moaning or preaching about my issues. I am choosing to tell it like it is for others like me, and for the uninitiated, but that doesn't mean I, or anyone else in a similar situation, have nothing else in my life. I have plenty. But if lending my voice to the feeble cries can help in any way to creating a roar in stopping the stigma then I'm happy to indulge it. 

The response I have received has been brilliant, so thank you for joining in the conversation. But remember, we've only just begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment