Wednesday 24 October 2012

The Poor Relation...





In yesterday's post on my upcoming therapy, I touched on the fact that I feel like a lower-class citizen in the illness stakes. NO, I don't think illness is a competition, that would just be shit. But I do think being mentally ill is viewed as of less importance and as being less serious than having a physical disease. And I'm guilty of thinking that way myself, despite being a self-proclaimed mentalist; the fact is, I would rather have mental health issues than say, be struck down with cancer. There, I said it.

Having had a brief breast cancer scare earlier this year helped inform this opinion. Yes, I know that when people are seriously depressed, go through a breakdown, crisis or psychosis they are at risk of suicidal feelings and may act on them, thus making serious mental illness a very serious threat to your life. Believe me, I've been there, so I know. But for all of that, I'd still take my mental health issues over any other illnesses.

I suppose my attitude is also down to the fact that mental health issues are still largely taboo in society. They are an inconvenient truth. Just look at recent events: the Paralympic Games, amazing as they were, focused hugely on physical disability rather than mental. Overcoming and conquering physical ailments and illnesses, or triumphing in spite of them, is worthy of media attention and praise. And I can't imagine Channel 4 holding a 'stand up to mental health' fundraiser, despite the mental health odds (1 in 4 will suffer with mental ill health) being on a par with the 1 in 3 odds of getting cancer. 

And perhaps this is fair? Many physical illnesses, without medical intervention, can cause death. Whereas many people's lives won't be at risk as a direct result of mental illness. Many of 'us' manage to struggle on, or  even be successful despite having mental illness and without medical or psychiatric interventions. But does my attitude simply add fuel to the fire; am I perpetuating an outdated view that we are all subjected to?

In reality, my life is blighted by my mental health issues and I will be stuck with them, to a certain extent, for the rest of my life. I hope not, but there could be times in the future when my life is at risk because of acute depression or manic episodes. And I feel no-one is really fighting that corner for people like me. Sure, there are several large charities that do some great work around mental health. And yet, they seem like unapproachable national charity giants to me. The one time I called the Mind helpline, I was completely rushed off the line by the guy I was speaking to. I've never bothered calling them again. And like it or not, simply tweeting and blogging about these issues won't change much either. I try not to get too despondent about it all, but I do feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall sometimes. 

Ultimately, all illnesses should be taken seriously, and patients treated with the same respect and dignity, but I can't see that happening for some time yet.


7 comments:

  1. I would agree completely that If you have a mental illness you are not deemed to be as `ILL` as say someone with Multiple sclerosis or a physical impairment. I have experience of serious mental health issues with a close family member and I work for mencap and one of the things we are told is that learning difficulties are not mental illnesses as was thought for centuries. I think the main reason mental health is not considered ILL is because a lot of people judge mental illness by their own standards IE They should just get on with it, why are they depressed? I`ve got problems and I deal with on my own whereas they cant compare themselves to some with paralysis as they have never experienced it. I sadly have to agree with your last statement that It would be great if all illnesses were treated seriously, and patients treated with the same respect and dignity, but like you I can't see it happening any time soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, I completely agree with you! I think part of the reason for such a massive taboo surrounding mental health is lack of understanding, but also because of the proliferation of the perception of 'being depressed' as just something that happens, it has become devalued by semantics as people having an 'off day'. Depression, regardless of the cause, has been widely mis-represented as something society can just shake off, The reality is a vastly different, and an often a life-changing experience.

      Delete
  2. Hi Hayley

    I go through this in my head everyday, ' I could be worse off, I could have cancer, it's not like I have a physical illness'.

    I feel like I have to justify this 'illness' because it's very hard for people to see it, and it's something we always try to cover up to become accepted in society. Which, then adds stress to my depression and lowers my self esteem.

    What pains me is the wait on the NHS for psychotherapies, last year I was lucky enough to seek CBT privately, I had an appointment within a week. On the NHS, the wait is 3-6 months. Anything could happen to me between then, quickly I'm offered anti-depressants and sent on my way. There's no-one to check up on us. I feel like the internet is my only source for a sense of hope, for some reassurance. However, it makes such a difference to have support, in person, face to face. If I had a disease, a wound, i'd be seen straight away... where as fearing for my life because of depression isn't as hard a cause it would seem, for them to hear my cry for help.

    You're blog really makes a difference to me. So thank you.

    Hollie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi again Hollie,

      The need for justification is one of the major causes, in my opinion, for people not feeling able to 'come out' about their mental health problems. This in and of itself leads to further 'taboo' about mental health issues.

      I agree, the wait lists in certain parts of the country (good old postcode lottery rearing it's ugly head again) for appropriate psychotherapies are horrific. For many people, the anti-depressant 'plaster' is wholly inappropriate to their needs. I myself have had periods of ten months before relevant treatment has been made available, and on one such occasion, I became manic and dropped out of the service because I was lacked insight into my need for help.

      There is a gulf between immediacy of treatment for physical illnesses and psychological ones. The government need to wake up to this most inconvenient of truths when it comes to NHS funding.

      I am so pleased this blog helps you x

      Delete
  3. I think in some respects mental illness can be worse than a physical illness in that people, to some degree, know how to behave around someone with a physical disabilty. Too many times i've been in awkward/uncomfortable situations exacerbated by people's lack of understanding and inabilty to know how to behave around me like i'm some kind of wild animal. The answer: just be your fucking self - But i don't blame them. Things need to change and i'm sure they will. I recently had the dosage of my meds increased after a particularly shit few months. I also asked for some psychotherapy and was given a number and told sent on my way like so many people. After calling the number i was told i had to wait 3 weeks just to talk to someone for an initial assessement - To basically gauge my level of sadness. After putting the phone down they called me back up and offered me a slot the next day. A good result i thought. The next day the phone rang and i was asked a series of very personal questions in a very cold and uninterested way by an african lady that i had couldn't understand (i say this not out of any form of discrimination at all, just that asking someone to repeat the same question 3 times in a row can be rather taxing especially under the circumstances). To make things worse she was calling from a very crowded room full of people joking and laughing whilst talking on a headset and asking me questions like 'have you been having suicidal thoughts or thoughts of harming yourself or others?' by which time the answer was most definitely yes. I finished the test and was put on a 4-5 month waiting list to get some 1 to 1 counselling. As much as i love the NHS, the system is broken and in need of fixing. Anyway sorry about the novel, i really must sleep as it's almost 6am and ive been up all night thinking about stuff.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urgh, sorry to hear you had such a negative experience on that phonecall! Wait lists are terrible I know, all told this is the only experience I've had of there being a reasonable time frame
      involved, which I'm grateful for. NHS funding allocation for mental health services is a whole other discussion, but its very frustrating to have poor response times to often acute and serious issues.

      Delete
  4. btw for anyone not familiar with daniel johnston and his art/music you should check him out. He's a fellow mental.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV6LPx1ezYs

    ReplyDelete